home about bucket list lowri's wardrobe contact Image Map

Thursday, February 16, 2012

best banana cake, EVER




I discovered this recipe on the wonderful Lauras blog last summer when I first got in to baking, it is a firm favourite in our household and has been requested for many an occasion! (this one is a belated birthday cake) it is an extremely yummy cake, and has made many a tummy smile it is also vegan friendly!
But the best thing about it is how simple it is to make.

have I convinced you?
you will need:
450g self raising flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
400g golden caster sugar (granulated is fine)
185ml sunflower oil
450ml water
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 large ripe bananas


Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4, grease and line two sandwich tins or loaf tins. Whenever I make this I fill two sandwich tins and a loaf tin! Place the flour, baking powder & sugar into a large mixing bowl and stir until blended. Beat in the sunflower oil and water and add the vanilla. Then mash up the bananas, this is great if you have a little helper! Fold the bananas in until well combined.

Divide the mixture between the tins and cook for 45 minutes until golden brown. If you are unsure insert a skewer if it comes out clean then they are ready to come out. When I cook mine, I put the two sandwich tins on the top shelf and the loaf tin on the lower. The sandwich tins are done after 45 minutes, but the loaf tin requires moving to the top shelf and having extra half an hour.

But what about that delicious icing? Don't worry I'm getting to that part...
for the icing you will need:
500g icing sugar
65g butter/margarine
150g smooth peanut butter
50ml water

Place 500g sifted icing sugar into a large bowl and beat in 65g margarine and 150g smooth peanut butter. I would recommend beating it with an electric whisk, as it speeds up the process. When using a hand whisk I find the mixture just gets stuck inside and I kept having to poke it out with a knife. Slowly add the the water until you get a smooth icing, the peanut butter makes the mixture quite thick add a bit more if needed.
Use half to fill the cake and half to ice the cake, and leave to set. I have lots of the yummy peanut butter mixture left over so popped it in a tub for people to spread on the banana loaf! What are you waiting for?




3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I love baking (my cupcakes are legendary! ;) ) so may have to give this a go for a change!

    oohdearsarah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks immense! I love banana cake! :)

    ReplyDelete